April 1, 2008

Glory for China, Shame on London


I ate well in this trip, thanks to J.J., whom I'm traveling with. But, I'll leave that in another article. I'd like to record a few things I read today on my way to Shanghai. My plane to Beijing was using the latest terminal opened one month ago, the Terminal 3 (T3) of Beijing airport. I read on a magazine saying that they recruited a "golden tulips" task force to actively serve travelers or local people who visit the new terminal. T3 occupies over 10,000 square meters, and is the largest single air transportation facility in the world. Beijing airport now has three runways and three terminals in operation, which can serve over 650 million travelers this year. Besides Beijing, Shanghai Pudong Airport also has a new terminal (T2) and a new runway joined the service last month. What I noticed is that besides the hardware construction, China is now emphasizing their software (service) in these recent developments. For example, the Golden Tulips team was trained by senior instructors from the Hong Kong Airport and is determined to impress the world in the year of Olympics at the new front door or China. And from my experience in this trip, they are really getting there. How hard is it? Just compare it to the new terminal of London Heathrow Airport, the Terminal 5. T5 has been a complete disaster since the opening day, and the chaos is still getting worse. Oh, by the way, T3 in Beijing only took half the time of London T5, and spent half the money.

No comments: