July 5, 2007

Job Hunting

I've got an offer and may start working sometime next week. So, it's time to share some interesting experience in the past week.

I opened my resume last Monday afternoon. Within an hour, I got a call from a man who did not sound like a human resource guy. He asked me if I could meet him last evening without explaining for which position. I was in doubt and asked him, and he replied that he's the executive vice president of that company. It was of course not what I'd expected. So, I met him and had a little chat after waiting in the lobby for an hour. In the end of the interview, he really taught me a lesson. He said I was not prepared, and I should think about how to model my past experiences and to leverage my career. That was quite a shock. I never saw it that way, so it was a tough but helpful start for my job hunting.

The next day I had an interview with a "normal" company for a "normal" position. Actually I knew I was to be hired immediately, so I just kept browsing for open jobs but wasn't to anxious to send out lots of resumes for interview opportunities.

And on Thursday I received another call. It was from a company my brother-in-law just left. The call was for a director position, which I was never interviewed for, so I agreed for an interview to see what's different. When I got there, the girl I approached asked me to fill a form in a room more like a warehouse or storage. Later, a engineer-style man walked in to talk to me. The interview was in a good atmosphere. Before leaving, I asked what's his role in the company. His business card said, "CEO & President". That really got me thinking if I receive the offer, will I accept it? I mean, if someone thinks I'm qualified to be a director and wants to pay me a lot of money, and the boss is very rich and far away in USA, and their stock is over 10 USD, will you accept it compared to a modestly paid, normal job?

1 comment: